In a nutshell, saws have been in use for many decades. The nature of their efficiency, however, has revolved around the years along with the dynamic change in technology. And if it’s the question about the best sliding miter saw for a homeowner, there are certainly dozens of options out there in the market.
The saw type is certainly the most versatile when contrasted with the non-sliding design. It can stretch the cutting head horizontally, providing an added advantage of crosscutting wider boards while still offering the benefits of non-sliders.
Even so, the extension system for the saw head comes in different styling, with each having its advantage over the other. For instance, some miter saws have ball-bearing slides and they’re relatively cheaper than the axial-glide models that operate with an articulating hinge. Hence, very effective for home-based and small-size workshops.
Which Size Sliding Miter Saw Is The Best For Home Use?
Other than the different types of slides, the sliding miter saw is usually available in various sizes. The size number is not determined by how large the tool is, but the nature of the blade installed. It’s a very crucial aspect when choosing your tool as it defines the overall cutting capacity and even the cost.
The most common miter saw sizes at the moment are 8, 10, and 12 inches, but 7-1/2” makes are also available. These numbers usually correspond to the diameter of the blade of the device, and the longer it’s the greater cuts. This is not just in depth, but also in terms of width.
For instance, a 12-inch sliding miter saw can make miter [right-angled] cuts of up to 15 inches in width and over 5 inches in depth.
On the other hand, a smaller miter saw is fairly compact and lighter in terms of weight. Hence, easier to transport and handle during the cutting process. Moreover, its purchasing cost is lower and it runs at a higher speed than a larger version with similar motor capability.
After all, an 8-inch cutting blade has a smaller circumference than a 12-inch size. Thus, it’ll take lesser time to complete its single rotation.
As for the question, therefore, a miter saw between sizes 7-1/2 inch and 10-inch can be a perfect choice for home use. But if there are chances you’ll be working with deeper lumber like 1×14”, then you can get a 12-inch model. Lucky enough, you’ll be able to vertically cut taller crown molding of up to 7-1/2 inches.
Check the bestseller top Sliding Miter Saw from Amazon. Just check the product link, the details, and price.
The Best Sliding Miter Saw For Homeowner
With the numerous line of sliding miter saws in the market right now, choosing the right piece is quite tricky. Unless you have dealt with the tool before, it’s pretty easy to make the wrong pick, especially if you don’t know what to look.
For the next subject, therefore, we’ll take you through some of the crucial features that you should focus on in a sliding miter saw.
Before then, though, let’s quickly review some of the best options that you can consider if you would like to own one.
Editor’s Choice: DEWALT [DCS361M1] 7-1/4” Sliding Miter Saw
For decades, DEWALT has been amongst the top leaders when it comes to power tools and accessories.
As our overall best sliding miter saw for homeowner, this particular model has everything for a favorable experience. It has an industrial-strength construction that features a stainless steel detent plate, with 11 solid positive stops.
The sliding miter saw has a single left bevel that allows you to tilt the cutting head from -3° to 48°. And a sturdy miter table that you can rotate up to 45 degrees [left and right] for higher cutting efficiency.
Speaking of that, this saw uses a 7-1/4 inch blade, which, luckily, the manufacturer includes alongside a wrenching tool. The blade has carbide tipped teeth that allow you saw through all kinds of lumber, including oak and other hardwoods.
As a cordless tool, this sliding miter saw runs with a 20V lithium battery. Hence, very flexible in the areas of use.
1. It has a compact, lightweight makeup for easy transport and use
2. Houses a powerful motor that delivers a [No Load] Speed of up to 3,750 RPM
3. Can cut up to an 8-inch board width-wise
4. As the exclusive PS crosscut system to enhance the accuracy
5. Its fence allows vertical cutting 3-1/2” baseboard and 3-5/8” nested crown molding
6. Features a well-designed dust chute and port for optimal debris collection
7. Has bold bevel and detent plate scale to ensure high precision
8. The miter saw includes a side carrying handle and Ambidextrous Switch design
Some users didn’t like the fact that the included battery couldn’t achieve the average 180+ 2×4 pine cuts stated.
Best Release: Delta Shopmaster S26-272L 12 Inch Sliding miter Saw
Although the newest I the market, this miter saw has already started winning the hearts of a handful of woodworkers. It features a rustic design, with a rugged silvered body for better performance and prolonged lifetime.
The miter saw is one of the better options for making larger cuts, courtesy of its superior 15-amp motor, and 12-inch blade. It has a maximum speed of up to 4,000 revolutions/ minute, which is certainly efficient for faster cutting without binding.
Thanks to its sturdy die-cast aluminum work table and board vice clamp, your work is always safe and accurate. The miter detent plate is also strong and with 10 solid positive stops for maximum productivity.
As a single bevel model, this device can make angled cuts of between zero and 45 degrees. The scale, however, is oversized to ensure high readability and better precision.
1. It’s a spectacular dual rail system that slides smoothly without stress
2. Has a tall adjustable fence and vice clamp to ensure better performance and more accurate cuts
3. Supports up to 14-inch wide flat cutting
4. Comes with predrilled holes for easier securing on a stable surface
5. Features an ergonomic horizontal saw head handle that’s fit for either hand
6. Uses a tightening lock knob to secure the miter table in position
7. The saw is highly durable and budget-friendly
The saw is quite heavy and the dust collection is almost useless if you don’t have a shop vacuum to connect.
Best Budget: CRAFTSMAN [CMCS714M1] 7-1/4” Sliding Miter Saw
No products found.
While you might not be able to do heavy-duty construction projects, this saw is surely convenient and worth its cost. It’s available at a reasonable price that you can pay for without compromising your tight budget.
Unlike many, the tool allows you to set the single bevel system from 0° to 47°. Then, position the miter table at nine different stops, which are deep and solid for a firmer grip.
The saw is a battery-powered make, with a superior motor that can reach a full speed of 3,800 revolutions/ minute. Hence, powerful enough to work on hardwood lumber without instances like binding or burn marks.
With its sliding rails fully extended, this miter saw can crosscut an 8-inch width board while lying flat. Also, the guide fence is not that bad as you can vertically cut 3.5” baseboard and 3.625” nested crown molding.
1. It’s well-built and very affordable for a home user
2. Can crosscut up to 8-inch width at 90 degrees and 5.5 inches at 45 degrees.
3. Extremely convenient as you can use without worrying about electricity
4. Features an innovative battery design that has an indicator for charge
5. Available in 6 different buying options
6. Includes a high-quality carbide-tipped blade that cuts through most materials
7. The saw is fairly lightweight and has side carry handles to enable easy transport
The tool still leaves out a lot of sawdust even after equipping the dust collection bag. Also, there’s no means to use the saw when plugged into the wall after the battery gets depleted.
Best Design: Metabo HPT [C8FSHES] 8-1/2” Sliding Miter Saw
As a person who loves advanced making, this piece can work pretty suit your preferences well and perfectly. It features heavy-duty components, such that you can have a better cutting experience with lesser maintenance.
With an 8-1/2 inch cutting blade, the miter saw is very convenient for home use and small workshops. It’s electric-powered, featuring a 9.5 amp motor that spins the cutter at a maximum [no-load] speed of 5,500 revolutions/ minute.
The tool is a single left bevel design with a maximum range of up to 48°, but it also tilts right up to 5 degrees. Its miter table, on the other hand, can rotate up to 57° to the right and 45° left. Thereby ensuring maximum productivity even with a smaller blade.
1. It delivers a cutting capacity of up to 12 inches [width-wise]
2. Has a built-in laser marker and LED work light for optimal accuracy
3. Runs at quite high speed for a better woodworking experience
4. Uses an adjustable pivot fence for improved stability in vertical cutting
5. Features a non-slip vertical saw head handle
6. Its miter and bevel scales are highly legible
7. The manufacturer offers it with a 5-year warranty
Some saws have had an issue with the laser guide, whereby it wasn’t perfectly square. Luckily, the brand does accept returns but the process can be time consuming and boring.
Top Bestseller: DEWALT [DWS779] 12” Sliding Compound Miter Saw
No products found.
Yet another one from the renowned DEWALT makers, this saw adds your woodworking with unbeaten convenience and efficiency. It’s the bestselling product on Amazon [at the time of writing], with over 1,400 positive customers feedbacks.
As a compound miter saw, the tool can do a wide range of tasks, not limited to cutting miters, beveled angles, and “compound” angles. It has a double bevel unit that allows you to make repeated cuts without necessarily moving the stock.
The saw head has a 12-inch blade that you can work on a 2×12” lumber without any difficulties. And its motor is pretty heavy as you can get a maximum cutting speed of up to 3,800 revolutions per minute.
Like many tools from this maker, this saw comes with a 3-year warranty. Hence, you won’t need to worry if you notice any fault during the listed time.
1. It consists of a complete work kit, with one saw, 12-inch carbide blade, wrench, and user manual
2. Can crosscut up to 2×14” lumber at a right angle and 2×12” at 45 degrees
3. Has a sturdy, leveled miter table that can rotate up to 60° right and 50° left
4. Features a double bevel, with two override levers to allow a maximum tilt of 49 degrees
5. Its dust collection system is super-efficient
6. Uses a quick cam lock for higher cutting speed of varying angles
7. The saw slides smoothly on its dual rail system.
Although not really an issue, this miter saw doesn’t come with the exclusive XPS crosscut positioning system or a laser cutting guide. So, you’ll have to get one separately at your expense [if in need].
Best Value: MILWAUKEE 2734-21HD 10” Sliding Compound Miter saw
When it comes to power tools, MILWAUKEE is another brand that never disappoints, and so is this sliding miter saw. It has a heavy-duty durable design, with an 18V max motor that spins the blade up to 4,000 revolutions/ minute.
The saw has a dual bevel unit that allows you to tilt the saw head up to 45 degrees [left & right]. and a solid miter table that rotates in both sides at up to 50 degrees [left] and 60 degrees [right].
At 90° position, this miter saw allows you to crosscut up to a width of 11.39” and an average 3.59” thickness. But when you set the table at an angle of 45°, the number of the maximum width lowers a little to 8.08”.
1. It has a sturdy, high-quality design for better performance and prolonged lifetime
2. Can efficiently cut a 2×12” lumber in sliding action and 4×4” in plunge action
3. Has a shadow cut line indicator to enhance the accuracy
4. Features a solid miter detent plate, with 10 positive stops
5. Includes a dust chute and port
6. It features a powerful motor and battery
7. Includes a tall fence that supports up to 5-3/4 inch vertical cuts.
8. The saw comes with predrilled mount holes for easier securing on a stable surface
Although it’s a high-quality tool, its cost is a little high than all the other on the list.
Best Alternative: JET  10” Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
If you are hoping to do more in the shed, this piece can provide excellent company in your craft as well. It’s a newly released product in the market, but an amazing alternative of the MILWAUKEE 2734-21HD about.
From the basics, the miter saw has a robust die-cast aluminum construction, with a lovely blend of black, red, and greyish white colors. It has a well-built sliding rail system that enables a cut capacity of up to 12 inches widthwise.
Fitted with a 15 amp motor, this saw can achieve a maximum cutting speed of up to 4,200 revolutions/ minute. It has a 5-second electric brake that helps stop the blade soon after releasing the trigger. Hence, preventing the risk of cutting your finger or nose.
1. It has sturdy construction to ensure high performance and durability
2. Features a built-in LED light to provide visibility in low lighted conditions
3. Can make beveled cuts [up to 45 degrees] from both left and right
4. Has a powerful motor that allows cuts in most materials
5. Includes a dust port and bag to keep your work surface clean
6. Comes with an easy-to-use clamp to secure the board while cutting
7. The saw has an ergonomic rubber grip handle that’s easy to control with either hand.
Similarly, this sliding miter saw is a little more expensive
Quick Guide: Things To Consider While Looking For The Best Sliding Miter Saw For Home Workshop
In any craft, choosing the right tools is the first step to success and maximum productivity. Be it you’re an adept artisan or a novice, the action enables you to work efficiently and effectively with minimal or no setbacks.
As for sliding miter saw, there are several attributes you’ll need to focus on if you want to get the best out of your skills.
These features including:
1. Ambidextrous handle: ignoring the fancy name, this simply means a handle that you can comfortably use with both hands- left or right. A handle that you control without having to reach across the blade as it would compromise accuracy and your safety.
2. Powerful motor: this will help ensure your tool is powerful enough to cut most materials without bogging down. And if it’s wood, you can efficiently cut fast without any chance of binding or burning the inner layer.
3. A good-quality blade: every good cut is not just defined by the installed motor, but the nature of the cutting edge. The blade has to be strong and with sturdy teeth that don’t dull or wear out quickly.
4. A sturdy, leveled miter table: it helps ensure you can make accurate cuts without the risk of breaking or crooked edge. The table should be able to hold in its set angle firmly without wobbling. Hence the detent plate stops should be solid as well.
5. High efficient dust collection system: to help reduce the amount of debris on the surface of the cut material and workspace. Hence, ensuring easier cleaning after the cutting session.
6. Highly legible scale: this refers to both the bevel system and the detent plate, in which case the scale can be bold or extra-large. Hence, allowing you to clearly see your settings and maintain high accuracy.
7. Electric brake: it enables the rotating blade to quickly stop after release the switch trigger. Thus, preventing it from cutting your finger or nose.
Commonly Asked Questions:
Which Is The Best Sliding Miter Saw For Home Use?
There are various models of a miter saw, all featuring different features and capabilities. When shopping for domestic use, a model with just the basic features is just enough for you. For instance, a device like No products found.” /] that’ is affordable, high performing, and compact enough to fit in a small space.
Should I Get A 10-Inch Or 12-Inch Miter Saw?
Other than designs, miter saws usually come in different sizes, which are determined by the diameter of the blade. For 10-inch and 12-inch models, they both have unique features that, of course, worth it. But as for a homeowner, the former is relatively cheaper and also it spins faster due to the smaller blade. Furthermore, a 10-inc saw blade can comfortably plunge cut a 4×4” lumber and has a sliding capacity of 12 inches. But if you want to cut larger and you don’t mind a larger saw, then you can consider a 12-inch miter saw.
Is It Worth Buying A Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
Absolutely, yes! A sliding compound miter saw allows you to do more than a standard miter can. It has the advantage of cutting wider and thicker lumber, on top of making miters, bevels, and compound cuts. Nonetheless, the miter saw design might be unnecessary if you don’t have a lot of work to do with it.
How Big Of A Board Can I Cut With An 8-Inch Miter Saw?
An 8-inch miter saw is one of the best selections for domestic and small workshops. It has a compact size that is easy to transport and the blade has a smaller circumference that results in higher cutting speed. In terms of thickness, this saw can efficiently cut 3-11/16 inches. Then, a maximum crosscut capacity of about 12 inches width if it has the sliding capability.
As you plan to indulge in woodworking, a miter saw is one of the crucial tools to consider if you’re to make angled cuts. The device is not for everyone, yeah, but it delivers the finest results when it comes to making miters, bevels, and compound cuts.
Needless to say, various systems are designed for different situations and applications. When looking for the best sliding miter saw for homeowner, therefore, you have to focus on features that suit domestic applications. Not heavy-dusty construction- unless it’s your full-time job.
Anyhow, we hope the article was informative and you got the solution to your current situation.
Last update on 2022-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API